Granola Butter Matzo Brittle
Every year, I look forward to this moment — the moment when Matzah (unleavened bread) is smothered with crunchy caramel, drizzled with chocolate chips, and now….Granola Butter.
This recipe was made with Gluten-Free Matzo, which was a solid 10/10. If you haven’t tried Matzah before and have always wondered, now is your shot! It's an unleavened flatbread that the Jewish people made in the Passover story, and basically a crunchy vessel for all your favorite snacks: chopped liver, Nutella, butter.
This recipe is all my childhood dreams in a crunchy, sweet, and salty package. Tip: tastes best with a warm drink and Rugrats Passover playing at full blast.
- 4-6 Pieces of Matzah
- 1 Cup (8 ounces) Butter, Cut into chunks
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 Splash Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tablespoons of Granola Butter
- Line a baking tray with foil and parchment paper
- Place Matzos in a lined baking tray, completely covering the bottom. Fill in any gaps with pieces of matzah
- Preheat oven to 300 Degrees
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove at medium heat. Add butter chunks and brown sugar to the pot, melt butter together, and boil. Stir constantly while butter and sugar boil for about 3 minutes. (Congrats! You just made toffee). Working fast, add vanilla extract and spread evenly over all pieces of matzah.
- Place in the oven for 13-15 minutes. This will bubble in the oven. Check halfway through for any black spots or burns. Once caramel is baked in a rich brown color pull out from over and cover with granola butter and chocolate chips. Leave on at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Spread melty chocolate and GB evenly over the matzah. Sprinkle with some thick flaky salt.
- Allow the tray to cool, then place in the fridge to set the chocolate and GB. Once the brittle is cooled break the pieces apart and enjoy. Store the brittle in the fridge.
- This recipe is a riff of the one posted by the great David Lebovitz
- My mom still makes a version of this every year. It is inhaled within hours.
- S.O to Gluten-Free Matzah for being providing extra crunch!